Friday, September 7, 2012

Apples, Apples, Apples

Nothing says Fall like a big batch of apples soaking in the sink.  Today was the day that I decided to tackle the bag of  apples that we picked from our neighbor's tree the other day.

Crockpot Applesauce was first on the list. I think I cored and peeled about thirty of those little cuties before having enough to start the batch of applesauce. Here is the recipe that I used:

http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/2008/09/crockpot-applesauce-recipe.html#

The kids and I decided to dehydrate a bunch to snack on.  They enjoyed using a little used device that I earned at a Pampered Chef party several years ago.  After I dusted it off, the kids had a ton of fun spinning the skin off a dozen or so apples. 




 

The dehydrator was equally unused and needed a thorough cleaning...the kids were excited to help fill the trays with sliced fruit and couldn't wait until they were dried out.  I set the timer and they checked it multiple times and asked with anticipation (and a little whining) when they would be ready.




We've enjoyed the smells and taste of apple treats all day today.  The dehydrator is still humming away in the background as I write this post.  The applesauce was delicious, we enjoyed most of it for lunch and I'm turning the rest into fruit leather just for fun.  I was able to freeze two big bags of apple slices, ready for a yummy crisp or pie, and the kids LOVE the dehydrated apples that they had for a snack a little while ago.  I bagged up what didn't get eaten- they won't last long around here!

I love this time of year!







No comments:

Post a Comment