Tuesday, January 21, 2014

It's a Dog's Life

MOVING
From Annie's Perspective

I just don't get it.  It seems to me that we just did this.  This time last week, things were going just fine...I got up, went outside, spending all morning following my mom around so she won't forget to take me for a ride when the kids go to those places they won't let me inside.  I don't mind sitting in the car.  It is better than being left at home, or even worse, the backyard!  I'm a civilized girl.  I belong where the people are. I spend the afternoon following mom from room to room, taking naps from time to time in all my favorite spots until it is time to pick up the kids.  As soon as she puts her shoes on, I have to stay on her heels so she won't forget that I want to go too.  In the evening, I don't stray too far from the kitchen so I can be there to grab anything that might hit the floor.  I try to be nonchalant about it so I don't get kicked out.  I make sure and finish off the breakfast that I was given earlier in the day so that I can bark like I'm starving for the dinner that I will leave part of until morning. Then I'm off to bed.  I do my best to guard the kids for awhile but end up sleeping on my own bed in the living room. You know, it's not a bad life.

Then a few days ago, out came the boxes.  I hate them.  They get in the way and take up all the good places to lay down.  I have to keep moving to stay out of the way.  Then they start filling them up with all the stuff, all over the house.  The tape dispenser is so noisy. It scares me.  The furniture is getting pushed around and then disappearing altogether.  It is freaky!  I have to stay near people so they don't forget that I'm here.  I don't want to get left behind when this place is completely empty, which is happening fast.  This is not my first move you know! So what if I lay in the doorway and people keep having to tell me to move out of the way? Yeah, I did roll my eyes a few times and let out more than a few annoyed sighs.  A dog has to do what a dog has to do. 

What, you are not taking me on the next twenty car trips?  I don't care that there isn't an inch of space to sit in.  Why do the kids get to go and not me?  It isn't fair!  You saved space for them when you loaded the car!  I see how you are.  I don't believe it,  you're putting me in the backyard instead?

Oh, I get to go this time.  Lucky me!  So this is where you're putting all the stuff.  Did you bring my bed, my bowl, my food?  Ah, you did.  I guess this isn't such a bad place.  Although, I had just gotten used to the other one.  Ok, I will go to bed and guard the kids.  I hope we're here to stay for awhile and I hope we can get rid of these boxes.  I hate them.  What?  You still have to unpack them?  They're going to be here for awhile.  I'll just have to follow you around for the next few weeks to make sure that it all gets done properly.  You'll think that I'm napping, but I've got my eyes on you. You're rearranging the furniture again?  Make up your mind already!

Yes!...You're putting your shoes on...I'm ready to go.  Please take me this time...please take me this time...Please take me!

No comments:

Post a Comment