Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Thankful for...

Little Man's Mayflower diagram
It's that time of year once again to be thankful...as if we shouldn't be thankful each and every day.  I'm so glad that in America, there is a day set aside to give thanks and show gratitude for the full lives that we get to live here on earth.  Jesus said in John 10:10b, "I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full."  I often wonder about people who do not believe that there is a God; who are they thankful to?  It is hard to say thanks without having someone to tell it to.  I know that it is possible to be thankful for what you have and glad that you exist but who/what do you show gratitude to, if not to God?

This time of year is bitter sweet for our family.  We have so much to be thankful for but there are also some sad times attached to the fall for us.  Many of the special people in our life have passed away during the fall so it is difficult to remember the happy times without also shedding a few tears of loss.  My husband has had many losses on his side of the family including his own dad four years ago.  He passed away the day after Thanksgiving in 2008 and is very missed by his wife, sons, daughters-in-law, and grandchildren...three that he had the opportunity to enjoy, one that he never had the privilege to meet, and one on the way.  We are thankful, of course, for the time that we did get to spend with him but wish that it could have been longer.  All the holidays were more entertaining with "Pop" around.   There is definitely a void there that can't be filled, eventhough we enjoy being together in his absence.  He did help make life very full.


Proud Grandpa
 
I have mentioned in several other posts that I am blessed beyond measure.  I do have so many things to be thankful for during one of my favorite times of the year.  Here are my top ten. 
*My God, who provides all that I could ever need
*A husband and best friend who loves, honors, protects and provides for our family
*My three amazing kids
*My extended family
*Wonderful friends both near and far
*My health and the health of my family
*A warm and happy home
*Always having enough
*Laughter
*Love

Shout for joy to the LORD, all the earth.  Worship the LORD with gladness; come before him with joyful songs.  Know that the LORD is God.  It is he who made us, and we are his;  we are his people, the sheep of his pasture.  Enter his gates with thanksgiving and his courts with praise; give thanks to him and praise his name.  For the LORD is good and his love endures forever; his faithfulness continues through all generations.  -Psalms 100




No comments:

Post a Comment