Monday, April 2, 2012

The Plunge

I would like to say today started like any other day. But, it did NOT! Thankfully most of my days do not begin with the hysteria that woke me from my slumber this morning. It went something like this:
"Oh no, no, NO!"
"What do we do?"
"My mom is going to be so mad!"
"It was an accident."
By this time I'm on my feet, flying into the hall, watching two wide eyed boys pointing toward the bathroom saying,
"Do something!"
"I think it's going to overflow."
"We accidently flushed SUPERMAN down the toilet!" "Get him back!"
This is not exciting news to someone who barely has their eyes open at 7:15 on a Monday morning. The toilet didn't overflow and after a few flushes appeared to be fine. I foolishly believed that Superman had passed on through the pipes. One should not assume things so willingly however, and within an hour the toilet was spilling forth with all sorts of unpleasantries! Sparing you the graphic nature of this scene, let me just say that you are glad you were not here.
I am so thankful for friends who will come to my rescue. I have two such people who did that for me today. First my friend Amy came to get her son and take my two other kids (she already had the oldest one for a sleepover swap). She was willing to keep them until the toilet fiasco was over. That is love! As soon as she left with them, I began to call plumbers. Who knew it was so difficult to get someone on the Monday of spring break in our little town?

  After talking to a few answering machines and a person who wouldn't be able to make it out until tomorrow, I called my husband for help. He suggested I call our friend and pastor, Paul, for advise. Paul, if you read this (and why would you want to relive the horror?), I want you to know that calling you was Jamie's idea. Now that I have thrown him into the potty water, I'll continue. Paul was graciously willing to come out and take a look. At noon, I ran a few errands and picked up a wax ring, in case the toilet needed to be pulled. Paul arrived with a helper, his snake and a few tools, and assessed the situation. Here is a partial transcript of the texts between Amy & myself as he worked:
Me: "Paul is pulling out my toilet. He needs a medal...I kind of wish the boys could be here to see what a super hero really looks like."
Amy: "I love it! Has he found the unfortunate Superman yet?"
Me: "He's wedged in there pretty nicely...The Incredibles lady was right... NO CAPES!"
Amy: " Ha! So can Paul tell that he's there?"
Me: "Yes. They are going to try flushing him out with the garden hose next. I may be buying a new toilet."
Amy: "What an ordeal. Although, those new low-flow toilets are really nice!"
I heard from the front yard "He's OUT!" So I went out to take a few pictures of course.
Amy(upon receiving the news and a few photos): " Who knew pastors had such extensive job descriptions?"
Indeed! If you are not fortunate enough to have a friend and pastor like Paul, take the plunge and GET TO CHURCH!
Today I learned that: Sometimes superheros(and plumbers) are pastors in disguise.
Today I was reminded that: Nothing compares to having great friends.
Today I was pleasantly surprised when: My sweet husband sent me flowers to improve my "crappy" day! What a guy!
And also: Isn't BLEACH an incredibly useful invention? Thank you BLEACH inventor, whoever you are.

No comments:

Post a Comment